Re: [opensuse] Re: Missing eth0 interface
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 10:26:20 +0200
Stan Goodman wrote:

At 10:03:53 on Tuesday Tuesday 13 October 2009, Per Jessen
<per@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Stan Goodman wrote:
Okay, that's better. Yet you still can't bring the interface up
with "ifup eth0". That would indicate that perhaps the module
wasn't loaded properly.
Check to see what 'lsmod' says - is "r8169" loaded? If not, try
to load it with "modprobe r8169". Then check that it was loaded,
and if
not, use 'dmesg" to see why. The last few lines will usually tell
you.

Actually, what I had installed was r8168. But neither of the two
appeared in the lsmod list.
I ran modprobe r8168, which says "FETAL: Module r8168 not found".

Okay, so no such module. I'm pretty certain r8169 will support the
r8168 chip too.

Running modprobe rr8169 gave no response at all, which sounded
better, and r8169 does appear in the lsmod list; it has "0" users.

Very good - so the module can be loaded. At this point, did you
try "ifup eth0"?

I did: "Interface eth0 is not available".

Okay. Can you post the last 20-30 lines of the 'dmesg' output? Either
to pastebin.com or directly to the list. I want to see if the module
complained about anything when you loaded it.

Also, what does "ls -l /etc/sysconfig/network/ifcfg*" say? I'm slowly
beginning to suspect the card may not have been configured at all.

/Per

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (8.2°C)