Re: [opensuse] NIC installation: What is this error?
  • From: David Bolt <bcrafhfr@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2009 00:19:13 +0100
On Thursday 08 October 2009 19:59:11 kanenas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

There should be no need to manually install drivers for an rt8168.

Well, not if you don't have an rt8168 based NIC you won't.

you might
want to consider removing what you have installed and see where that takes
you.

Or not. It all depends on whether the NIC has been configured and the
correct module selected for it.

fyi, my vostro shows r8169 as the driver found / installed by yast for
the rt nic.

That's all well and good, but do you have an rt8169 or 8168 based NIC?

I have an rt8168 based NIC on one of my systems. It's built onto a M/B
that's replaced one that failed. The one it replaced didn't have an
onboard NIC, so when it failed to work with 11.1, I just put the old
rt8139 based NIC back in and continued as before.

The funny part about this is that that system didn't have a DVD drive
and so I needed to use PXE booting to reconfigure it for the new
hardware. To do this I needed to have both NICs connected to a switch.
The onboard NIC started the network boot process and would load the
kernel and initrd. After that, once the installation had sent the DHCP
requests to the NICs, the onboard one failed and the older one took
over. The installation completed just fine like this and, after
everything had finished, I disabled the onboard NIC until I saw this
thread.

Now I've compiled and installed the rt8168 module, and now have to
remember to rebuild and reinstall it with every kernel update. As for
whether it works, that I can't say as yet. That NIC doesn't have a
cable plugged into it, and the system is also headless so I'd need to
move it to be able to plug it into a keyboard and monitor just in case
doing a cable swap broke its networking.

if the card is seen by yast and editing it completes (and the
module is shown / typed in in the hardware tab), then you might want to
verify your cable connection, just as a sanity check.

That's a good thing to check, but YaST doesn't always pick the correct
module for hardware. It didn't for my hardware, and it's not the first
time I've had to compile a module to get a working onboard network
card. Admittedly, the last time was many years ago with an nForce2
motherboard.

As for this time, here's the output of lspci for my cards:

donnas:~ # lspci|grep -i ethernet
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI
Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 03)
03:07.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 10)

and here's the hwinfo for the 8168:

30: PCI 200.0: 0200 Ethernet controller
[Created at pci.318]
UDI: /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/pci_10ec_8168
Unique ID: mY_N.SNc65Gva3GC
Parent ID: M71A.yjEgnYhrx38
SysFS ID: /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:07.0/0000:02:00.0
SysFS BusID: 0000:02:00.0
Hardware Class: network
Model: "Realtek RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller"
Vendor: pci 0x10ec "Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd."
Device: pci 0x8168 "RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller"
SubVendor: pci 0x1565 "Biostar Microtech Int'l Corp"
SubDevice: pci 0x2309
Revision: 0x03
Driver: "r8168"
Driver Modules: "r8168"
Device File: eth2
I/O Ports: 0xd800-0xd8ff (rw)
Memory Range: 0xf8fff000-0xf8ffffff (rw,prefetchable)
Memory Range: 0xf8ff8000-0xf8ffbfff (rw,prefetchable)
Memory Range: 0xfeae0000-0xfeafffff (ro,prefetchable,disabled)
IRQ: 4348 (no events)
HW Address: 00:30:67:22:0c:d2
Link detected: no
Module Alias: "pci:v000010ECd00008168sv00001565sd00002309bc02sc00i00"
Driver Info #0:
Driver Status: r8169 is not active
Driver Activation Cmd: "modprobe r8169"
Driver Info #1:
Driver Status: r8168 is active
Driver Activation Cmd: "modprobe r8168"
Config Status: cfg=no, avail=yes, need=no, active=unknown
Attached to: #10 (PCI bridge)

Regards,
David Bolt

--
Team Acorn: www.distributed.net OGR-NG @ ~100Mnodes RC5-72 @ ~1Mkeys/s
openSUSE 10.3 32b | openSUSE 11.0 32b | |