Re: [opensuse] NIC installation: What is this error?
  • From: Andreas Jaeger <aj@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2009 07:13:34 +0200
On Friday 09 October 2009 00:13:19 Stan Goodman wrote:
At 23:41:34 on Thursday Thursday 08 October 2009, phanisvara das

<phani00@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Friday 09 October 2009 03:01:01 am Stan Goodman wrote:
Module Name field must be the one you suggested I fill with rtl8169;
it was empty, and I filled it. When I closed the window (Next > OK)
and opened again, both fields were again empty.

are you sure that driver is installed on your system?

I am sure of nothing at this point, including my name. What I know is

I got the name of the Ethernet card from the hardware list

I downloaded a driver of that name from RealTek

I followed the instructions given in the readme that came with the driver
accurately, with help for places that I didn't

The instructions give diections for texting whether the driver is in fact
installed. The response from the system looked OK, except I remarked at
the time that it failed to call out the name of a device (eth0), which it
was expected to do.

So no, I don't think the driver is properly installed, but I don't know
why not.

Someone suggested that I check the connection. The connection is OK.

Please run as root "hwinfo --netcard" and send the output.

Also, check the openSUSE 11.2 LiveCD and if that one has working ethernet,
either install the 11.2 kernel or use 11.2 directly,

Andreas Jaeger, Program Manager openSUSE, aj@{,}
Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany