Re: [opensuse] NIC installation: What is this error?
  • From: Stan Goodman <stan.goodman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2009 23:03:40 +0200
At 20:59:11 on Thursday Thursday 08 October 2009, kanenas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
wrote:
On Thursday 08 October 2009 08:35:03 am Stan Goodman wrote:
At 20:15:49 on Thursday Thursday 08 October 2009, Stan Goodman

<stan.goodman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
At 18:34:56 on Thursday Thursday 08 October 2009, "Ken Schneider -

openSUSE" <suse-list3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Stan Goodman pecked at the keyboard and wrote:
At 17:53:55 on Thursday Thursday 08 October 2009, Per Jessen

<per@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Stan Goodman wrote:
That's true. It doesn't help to choose among the many gcc
compilers on the DVD. Can I assume that gcc-c++ is the way to
go? Or is gcc43-c++ the one with the brass ring? Or gcc43? Or
what?

I suspect "zypper in gcc" will get you what you need.

That caused the system to try to access the non-oss repository,
because it complained that it couldn't resolve
download.opensuse.org. The problem is that I am trying to get
the Ethernet card to work, and there is no other way to reach
the outside world. It stands to reason that the necessary
compiler has to be on the DVD. But there are many likely
looking gcc compilers on the DVD; so far I know that gcc43 and
gcc43-c++ don't help. Which one does it want?

Disable all repo's except for the *dvd* or add it if it isn't in
the list, then zypper ref and zypper in gcc.

That made the modules without errors. There are two warning
messages that I assume are expected, indicating that some facility
is not supported by the driver:

r8168_n.c.:526: warning: 'rtl8168_ocp_gphy_read' defined but not
used r8168_n.c.5292: warning: 'rtl8168_reinit_task' defined but not
used

The rest of the compilation finished, apparently in good order.
<lsmod

| grep r8186> seems to have found the installed driver.

But <ifconfig -a>, according to the instructions, was expected to
include in its response a line about eth0, but there is no such
thing in its two paragraph, which seem otherwise to be in order.

Also worrying is that I now notice in Network Settings/Overview
that in the lower window the name of the Ethernet card is followed
by "(no hwinfo)"

And the upshot is that the network is unreachable.

--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on

There should be no need to manually install drivers for an rt8168. you
might want to consider removing what you have installed and see where
that takes you. fyi, my vostro shows r8169 as the driver found /
installed by yast for the rt nic. if the card is seen by yast and
editing it completes (and the module is shown / typed in in the
hardware tab), then you might want to verify your cable connection,
just as a sanity check.

I'll have to google to find out how to remove a driver, and go through the
whole process again.

oS did identify the controller correctly, but didn't find a driver for it.
What repository is it in? I d/l the driver from RealTek

The only hardware I see in Network Settings is on the Overview tab. If
there is a "hardware tab", I don't see it. Nor do I see a place where the
driver is shown.

--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on