Re: [opensuse] plasma images compressed inkscape svgz or compressed plain svgz
  • From: "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Oct 2009 03:00:27 -0500
On Saturday 03 October 2009 05:56:22 am Roger Oberholtzer wrote:

When creating/tweaking plasma theme images, which inkscape format are
you supposed to use "compressed inkscape .svgz" or "compressed plain
.svgz" ?

Does it matter?

Probably not. The inkscape SVG contains tags useful to inkscape so you
can load them in inkscape and have your inkscape settings for the file.
Obviously, KDE will not be interested in these. However, it may still
need to parse then to get to the interesting bits. I do not know how KDE
does this. If you are lucky, it is not validating the svg files, and so
can easily/quickly ignore the inkscape bits. But if it is validating
them, there is a performance penalty for decoding the inkscape bits.

If you do not plan to re-edit the svg files, I would leave out the
inkscape parts. Save a copy with the inkscape stuff for editing, and a
copy without for sending off to KDE. JM2CW.

We have been moving lots of our graphics to SVG. Like JPEG images and
line drawings that we do from pattern recognition in the images.
Inkscape becomes a general purpose editor for our results. Standards can
be really nice when things come together like this.

Excellent Answer Roger -- Thanks!

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC