Re: [opensuse] Re: Coordinated, distributed ssh attacks?
  • From: James Knott <james.knott@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 03 Oct 2009 18:55:25 -0400
Per Jessen wrote:
Heinz Diehl wrote:

On 03.10.2009, Cristian Rodríguez wrote:

You can't actually proceed ;-) this is an issue with any network
service on planet earth, but you can protect yourself of being
cracked by only using public key authentication.

That's how I do it. Maybe I don't get the point, but after reading
this whole thread I wonder why folks bother. Don't allow password
login, or choose a strong one, and nothing more to it..

The one issue I have with using ssh public keys is that the client setup
seems to get tied to somebodys home-directory. Has anyone worked out a
solution where the keys and such are kept on a USB stick (encrypted
filesystem perhaps) such that an individual can carry it from place to
place with minimal effort? We occasionally have people working from
places where 1) their home-directory is not available or 2) is not
trusted at all.

On Linux systems, you can use symlinks to the USB stick. With Windows,
you can use Putty, which IIRC works just fine when insalled on a USB drive.