[opensuse] Re: Partitioning problem in installing oS v11.1
  • From: "<jdd-gmane>" <jdd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 02 Oct 2009 20:17:13 +0200
Stan Goodman a écrit :

I hesitat to even look to find out. How can sda4 be even close to the last
cylinder, when sda5, 6, and 7 are near the beginning.

because the partition number have nothing to do with the partition
place. You can have sda1 at the end of the drive, sda3 at the begining.

sda1, 2, 3, 4 are primary. It's the only requirement. One of then have
to be extended if one extended is needed.

The first logical have to use number bigger than 4, that is usually 5,
and so on

if you want to be able to resize extended (to add logical), you Have
to start the primaries on the end of the drive to keep room after

As I just told jdd, I'm going to choose to install on sda6 and sda7. If it
works, I will be very relieved. If it doesn't, the machine is going back
to the Dell importer.

It probably ought to go back anyway, unless they can supply a debugged
BIOS.

don't know about BIOS.

I don't know DFsee, but I don't know if he will be able to make
extended partition bigger. It's possible only is the space right after
it is free.

I really dislike these partitionner that don't even quote the extended
partition. It's very easy to be stuck if you create logical, then primary.

you have a drive like this:
|sda1-sda2[sda5-sda6]---------free space-------sda3-sda4| (if necessary)
If you make
|sda1-sda2[sda5-sda6]--sda3-sda4-------free space-------|
the free space is (mostly - resizing a primary is possible) lost

I don't know why you want to use OS/2 boot loader, but if so you
should be able to let apart grub and lilo. May be some people remember
loadlin

jdd

--
http://www.dodin.net