Re: [opensuse] Re: Partitioning problem in installing oS v11.1
  • From: Stan Goodman <stan.goodman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2009 18:16:00 +0200
At 17:43:20 on Friday Friday 02 October 2009, Stan Goodman
<stan.goodman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
At 16:19:41 on Friday Friday 02 October 2009, jdd <jdd@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Stan Goodman a écrit :

That must be a typo; the boot manager is not the boot loader.

of course it is. what do manage the boot if not the boot loader?
certainly not the partition table

In all respect, the function of the Boot Manager is to choose among the
various systems on the machine. For example, a developer may have several
Linux distros on his machine for debugging purposes; a Windows addict may
have XP and a Linux; for some time after I switched to Linux, I kept OS/2
for purposes of reference. The Boot Manager is not Grub, which is the
Boot Loader; if and when I ever get this thing straightened out, I will
put Grub in /boot, which will be in the / partigion. Putting it in the
Boot Manager partition would defeat the purpose of multiple operating
systems.

I'm sorry too. What else would you like to see?

read below what I wrote in the last mail:
what is the full size of your drive? you have to write down the
starting/ending sector of each partition.

run the openSUSE dvd, rescue system and type fdisk -l

copy the result here

Device Boot Start End Blocks ID System
/dev/sda1 * 1 1 8001 a OS/2 Boot Manager
/dev/sda2 2 9479 76132035 5 Extended
/dev/sda5 2 271 2168743 82 Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/sda6 272 4238 31684896 83 Linux
/dev/sda7 4239 9479 42098301 83 Linux

--
Stan Goodman