Re: [opensuse] OT hardware info ?? [dmidecode mem reporting]
  • From: "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 12:19:08 -0500
On Tuesday 29 September 2009 12:30:00 pm ka1ifq wrote:
Why I asked is that I ordered some ram on sale, 4G 800mhz (2*2G),
after the rebate it was $9, when I got it I found from the web site the
machine would take 4G but 4*1G and was bummed, now this may shed some new
light and I may be able to use it.
Thanks, Mike.

I wish I had had extra ram on the occasions that I ran into this
scenario.
One of two things is probably happening. (1) dell sources parts from all over
the world and only cares about 2 things (a) the price being right and (2) will
it work. There are a number of occasions where people actually got (more) of a
box than they thought they did simply because dell was short of the bargain
brand X motherboards and used a slightly better Y motherboard in its place. If
dmidecode is right, then you may just get to use all your RAM ...

... of course (2) dmidecode could just be flat wrong...

Post back and let us know how it comes out. I interested to know. Thanks.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC