[opensuse] How to get samba working?
  • From: Bob Williams <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 18:06:50 +0100
Hi,

I'm trying to get a really simple samba server set up here, so that my two
Windows laptops can view photographs on my openSUSE 11.1 with KDE 4.3 desktop.

All the machines are members of the same workgroup. The windows machines can
see each other, and I can see the windows machines from KDE3 konqueror
(although I'm using the KDE4 desktop) with the smb:// protocol.

Although the samba HOWTO.pdf is great for going through the configuration, I
think I have a more basic problem with the samba executables.

The following CLI messages may mean something to someone...

barrowhillfarm:~ # smbclient //barrowhillfarm/robert
Connection to barrowhillfarm failed (Error NT_STATUS_CONNECTION_REFUSED)
barrowhillfarm:~ # smbclient -L barrowhillfarm
Connection to barrowhillfarm failed (Error NT_STATUS_CONNECTION_REFUSED)
barrowhillfarm:~ # nmbd restart
Aborted (core dumped)
barrowhillfarm:~ # rcnmb restart
Shutting down Samba NMB daemon Warning: daemon not running.

done
Starting Samba NMB daemon startproc: signal catched /usr/sbin/nmbd: Aborted

failed
barrowhillfarm:~ # rcsmb restart
Shutting down Samba SMB daemon Warning: daemon not running.

done
Starting Samba SMB daemon

done
barrowhillfarm:~ # smbd -b | grep LOCKDIR
LOCKDIR: /var/lib/samba
barrowhillfarm:~ # smbd -b | grep PRIVATE_DIR
PRIVATE_DIR: /etc/samba

There seems to be a problem with the nmb module?

In Yast > Runlevel services, both nmbd and smbd end up with an asterisk
against them when I try to enable them.

I have the following packages installed, from the repo-update repository:

libsmbclient0 3.2.7-11.3.2
libtalloc1 3.2.7-11.3.2
libtalloc1-32bit 3.2.7-11.3.2
libtdb1 3.2.7-11.3.2
libtdb1-32bit 3.2.7-11.3.2
libwbclient0 3.2.7-11.3.2
samba 3.2.7-11.3.2
samba-client 3.2.7-11.3.2
samba-client-32bit 3.2.7-11.3.2
samba-doc 3.2.7-11.2.1
yast2-samba-server 2.17.9-0.1.2

and from the repo-oss repository:

yast2-samba-client 2.17.11-1.30

Can anyone suggest what I need to do to get samba running? Once I've got that
far, I'm happy to play around with /etc/samba/smb.conf

Thanks,

Bob
--
Registered Linux User #463880 FSFE Member #1300
GPG-FP: A6C1 457C 6DBA B13E 5524 F703 D12A FB79 926B 994E