[opensuse] Re: scanner that works well with linux - any recommendations?
  • From: Linda Walsh <suse@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 02:12:14 -0700
I don't know what you consider affordable, if you get a scanner that's
is a "network" scanner -- it can scan directly a system using network protocols,
like 'email', or 'smb', or 'ftp'. I don't know at what price point they start
offering features like that. But I laid out some bucks for a laser printer
recently (my volume is very low -- so low that inkjets die because the ink dries
up in them and clogs the output tubes), so...I decided I had to go with
something
that wouldn't dry out -- like powdered toner. :-). The price of ink's were
driving me to insanity, but if you don't use the ink, you lose the printer.

Nice marketing ploy, and HP is among the worst.

(I got a Dell). Haven't tried printing from linux, but it scans to linux or
windows. In fact, it was easier to configure to scan to linux than windows
since my linux machine accepts email internally, but my windows machine doesn't.

But I can't say it was the most affordable printer I've ever seen -- but it
should
last without me worrying about the ink for a very long time. Probably just have
to worry about dust...(and power spikes...they say not to put them on UPS's...
not sure why)...

Per Jessen wrote:
I bought an HP Scanjet 2400 a while ago, obviously neglecting to check
if it worked with Linux - which it doesn't (AFAICT). I would really
like to get a new one, but one that works with Linux. The scanjet has
two buttons on the front - copy & scan. Those would be really handy to
have working too.

Any (affordable) recommendations? This scanner isn't used a lot, only
occasionally.

thanks
Per