Re: [opensuse] Re: Periodic problem resolving URLs?
  • From: Clayton <smaug42@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 09:06:51 +0200
Okay, so contrary to indication, your internet connection is still up
when this happens.

Exactly...

What happens if you do a "ping -n <known addr>" ?  If that also doesn't
work, try "traceroute -n <known addr>".  If ICMPs for some reason are
being dropped during one of these outages, the "ping -n" wont work
either, but the "traceroute -n" might just show how far they do get.

OK, I think you are on to something here. I still want to test some
more to be 100% sure though. I had 2 "outages" last night where I was
at the computer (was busy with other things so didn't have a lot of
time to test). During the outage, Skype was, as usual, connected, and
a call was in progress. There was no interruption in the VoIP
service, but web browsing did not work.

I tried ping -n and got the same results as a regular ping (both to a
URL and an IP)... no replies back. traceroute -n did produce
results... a lot of lines with *'s and various IPs. I need to test
this some more with known URL/IP combinations that reply normally and
then hit them again during an outage to see the difference. I hope to
be able to do this tonight.

Is it possible that the dropped ICMPs could be a result of some
misconfig on my end? I know little about ICMPs (I'm reading up on it
though).

C.