Re: [opensuse] Solved : openFATE #306323: Zimbra Mail Server Support for openSUSE 11.x
  • From: G T Smith <grahamsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 01 Sep 2009 11:05:21 +0100

Masim "Vavai" Sugianto wrote:
Hi David,

On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 1:49 PM, David C.
Rankin<drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Huh?

Looks like Zimbra is just a groupware application. No reason it
wouldn't run
on opensuse. It looks very much like an eGroupWare clone.

Yes, Zimbra is a collaboration suite or in another term, a groupware,
but there is a reason why it would not run on openSUSE 11.x (10.2 and
10.3 would run with minor changes). openSUSE 11.x failed to run Zimbra
and it was my main reason to pick an openFATE request.

Anything with that much licensing crud and "trial" licensing bs on an
open-
source package deserves nothing more than rm -rf zimbra. Try eGroupWare.

If you really want to try zimbra and are scared because you can't
find an
"openSuSE" package, just download the source.

Thank you for an email response, but have you tried it by yourself ?
I've tried it and it failed in first attempt and at the end it was
successfully solved after a few trial & error.

My email just want to reconfirmed that Zimbra finally could be
installed on openSUSE 11.x by replacing perl package bundling on
Zimbra with openSUSE perl package. Anyone who tried to running Zimbra
on openSUSE 11.x or Ubuntu 8.10 & 9.04 or any distro with Perl 5.10
bundled may have disagree with you. If it SHOULD BE, maybe, but if you
have try it, you may have different response :-)

Some time ago had a look at various linux based groupware solutions, The
Horde, Kolab, Citadel and eGroupWare. By far the easiest to setup and
install was eGroupWare. Zimbra is one of many in this area and was far
from having the easiest to setup requirements then. In the main agree
with David in suggesting eGroupWare for SMB or personal use.

If you are working for a large company Lotus Notes, OPenXchange, and
others are available (large companies can afford the dosh).

- --
telephone.

Bjarne Stroustrup