Re: [opensuse] Re: General Poor quality of Opensuse
  • From: Jay Mistry <jaylinux53@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2009 15:32:26 +0530
<snip>

As much as I read in these complaing posts most problems appear with the new
KDE 4, which you are forced to use, if you want to use newer versions of
KDE-apps. While I understand the devolpers point, that they want/must  code
for the latest version, I very much regret it as a user.

But as much as I know the other distros have the same problems, they use the
same KDE, don't they? So is it a general Linux distros problem, trying to
reach the Windows-Users?

Is the alternative a Mac? And *is* this an alternative?

Daniel

</snip>

An alternative might be a more flexible implementation of the KDE 4.x
series. I recall when Windows XP first came out there were lot of
complains about the default 'tele-tubby' look; but users who were more
accustomes to the classic style of prev Windows versions (Win NT/ 2000
& earlier), were given the option to switch to 'Classic' style, and
this did not require administrative previliges. This is sadly missing
in Windows Vista (and Office 2007 too, with it's couter-intuitive
'ribbon' look).

Maybe the new KDE series should also offer an option to go back to the
'classic' view without the extra jizz/ effects on the desktop. This
would also be a boon for those using Linux on older hardware
platforms.

Jay

--
Linux User 483705 | openSUSE 11.1, Ubuntu 9.04 (i686) w/ Windows XP