Re: [opensuse] Does your gmail account work?
  • From: Bob Williams <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 08:52:56 +0100
On Wednesday 26 August 2009 18:26:51 John Andersen wrote:
Constant Brouerius van Nidek wrote:
Get some bulky material via gmail. Use pop for that download and it works
since I started using gmail. (4 to 5 years)
Today I have some 20 emails in my gmail account but if I want to download
them, I get following information:
Could not connect to host pop.gmail.com: Unknown error.

Do you use pop to download from gmail, do you have problems? Or is it
just me ;(

Why in gods name are you using Pop with Gmail?

Use imap.gmail.com port 993 ssl for mail access
and smtp.gmail.com port 465 ssl for sending via gmail.

These work with every client I've ever tried.

Thanks for this tip, I have been using POP up to now. However, following the
settings you give above, I can't get KMail to send to gmail (I actually have a
googlemail account, but it's the same thing). My password doesn't seem to
stick in the sending dialog, even though I've ticked the 'remember' box.

Matters might be complicated by the fact that I have two sending transports
set up, the default goes by SMTP to my ISP, and googlemail goes to gmail.

Any advice, please?

Bob
--
Registered Linux User #463880 FSFE Member #1300
GPG-FP: A6C1 457C 6DBA B13E 5524 F703 D12A FB79 926B 994E