Re: [opensuse] Harddrive order - physical vs how openSUSE sees them
  • From: Hans de Faber <hans.defaber@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Aug 2009 13:35:13 +0200
Hans de Faber schreef:
Clayton schreef:
Ok.. What type of MB is it? Curious because I've got an ASUS that let's
me select the drive I want to boot from.
It a Gigabyte MA770-UD3. Works great BTW.

I can select the bootable drive... it's just.. weird how it all
behaves. Not what you expect at first is all.. especially the GRUB
handoff to another existing GRUB depending on which I boot to. It's
workable in the long run... just.. messy. Hans has outlined the
important bits for sorting GRUB out. For me... I might just take the
time to shuffle data and sort my data mess a bit. Over time things
get scattered.

BTW, bumped into another gotcha :-P openSUSE 11.1 - in it's default
config anyway - does not speak ext4. I set up the new drive as
ext4... and at first try it's not mountable from 11.1. Haven't spent
any time looking into this just yet... maybe later.

C.
A good tool is the new version of rescuecd . Ext4 included
Many times this was my lifesaver.
It contains also partimage to store/restore a partition.
www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page

I am not sure that the 11.1 grub understands ext4. I don't think so.
If thats the case than for temporary a secondairy grub is a solution.
For this reason i formatted the milestone partition ext3, thats 1 problem less.