Re: [opensuse] install without CD
  • From: Dave Howorth <dhoworth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 16:09:04 +0100
Brian K. White wrote:
It's perfectly correct for the documentation to say ftp.
It's also perfectly correct for you to use http if you want to.
It should be obvious that any network-based install can only possibly
work if your network card is lucky and happens to be on of the ones that
the installer knows how to use.
If the installer does in fact sucessfully light up your nic, and
successfully negotiates dhcp, and your dhcp server gives you correct
network and dns settings, and you want to use http, then you need to
enter a valid repository hostname or ip, AND a valid path to a valid repo.

What _specifically_ about this don't you understand or what specifically
from this did you do and it didn't work?
http://en.opensuse.org/INSTALL_Internet

Btw I found that by doing something incredibly arcane and wizardly.
I opened up google and put in "opensuse install http"
Man that was hard.

That comes across as a little harsh and also reads as if you haven't
read the whole thread. So excuse me if I just refer you to the thread
for the details instead of reiterating them.

Cheers, Dave