[opensuse] install without CD
  • From: Dave Howorth <dhoworth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 11:49:52 +0100
I'm trying to install 11.1 onto a machine without writing a disk and
have got stuck. Apologies if this has been discussed before, a quick
search didn't turn it up.

I'm following the instructions on
<http://en.opensuse.org/Installation_without_CD> and I've installed the
new kernel, modified grub and am running the installation but am stuck
at finding "the server" and "the directory" containing "the install
files". I've assumed that refers to the place where I downloaded the
boot iso.

I've selected FTP network installation and DHCP config, which works, and
then for the IP address of the FTP server I gave 195.135.221.130, which
I got by pinging download.suse.org and for the directory on the server I
gave /distribution/11.1/iso, which is the path to the boot iso. It said
"no repository found" in both cases. I also said no username or password
and no proxy.

So what have I done wrong, and where could I have found the information?

Thanks, Dave