Re: [opensuse] c question - how to tell how much memory you program/data structure uses?
  • From: "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2009 14:43:33 -0500
On Saturday 15 August 2009 01:23:34 pm Aaron Kulkis wrote:

Also, more generally, for searching and working on the text, would just
all reading the text into something other than a linked list be better? I
guess I could use one big buffer. The text files for each single
transcript are rarely ever more than 500K. Eventually, I would like to
have the ability to search through any number of transcripts, but they
need not all be in memory at the same time (although for speed that would
help). Any text handling favorite data structures?

Aaron, Per, Carlos, G T,

Thanks for your help. I like the above suggestion and will toy with it
and
look for a library that already provides the tools needed. Basically there are
only a couple of tools out there that do the text handling and file
association I'm looking to do and they are all MS based. (summation, abbicus,
time matters, reallegal e-trans viewer. Each does its part, but there isn't
really an integrated tool that puts all the pieces together in a useful
manner. Thankfully, all of the actual data and code involved is basic.
Ultimately what is needed is a web interface to eliminate the cross platform
issues. (a project based groupware solution - sort of)

eGroupware comes real close to handling all the data, and building a
couple
of additional modules on top of it may be another avenue to look at, but with
groupware you end up needing a complete database and web server installed to
make use of the information which makes is tedious to move to a laptop
quickly. That's why I was looking into doing something simple that is in one
app that can be installed on any computer and then just needs the transcripts
and images as data.

I'll keep picking around with it over the next few months and see if a
good
solution presents itself.

Thanks again!

--