Re: [opensuse] HOW TO ENABLE A USER TO DOWNLOAD A HUGE FILE FROM MY LAPTOP
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2009 08:04:51 +0200 (CEST)

On Wednesday, 2009-08-05 at 04:09 -0000, Maura Monville wrote:

All access rights how? Does he have a local account on your
computer?

Yes. He has

Have you
shared the directory using a certain protocol?

I do not know how to do that. I just created an account for him and gave him full access rights to my /home directory using chmod.

Then you have to use ssh/scp.

Is there a
firewall between the
two systems?

I did not set up any firewall. Maybe SuSE does that by default ?

Are they on the same network?
Yes. The university network.

You are on a university network and have no firewall... You /must/ love hackers a lot, do you? >>:-)

What OS does he run?
He can run either Linux/Ubuntu or Windows.
When he attempted to access my computer I assume he was running Linux (his
favourite OS)

Then he should know about ssh.

Which client is he using?
He said he succeeded in connecting to my system through the IP address.
The ftp session opened up but was losed by the host (that is my computer)

Because you have no server configured.

What exactly is the error message?
I do not know the exact error message. It is basically what I reported above. My computer rejected the ftp connection he started.

Are you able to ping him and vice versa?
Well, he could log in his account on my computer.

Remotely? Then ssh is running. Just tell him to use that. It is setup, you do not have to do anything more. (fish:// in konqueror)

I did not try to ping his machine. I will

There are too many variables in this equation to be able to
produce any sort
of answer. Please provide more information.
I hope I have clarified some doubts.

Now, yes.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.