[opensuse] how to enable openSUSE DVD iso image for HTTP/NFS installs?
  • From: Arun Khan <knura@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2009 09:48:32 +0530
On my SOHO server I have mounted the openSUSE DVD iso images [1] under
sub-dirs in /mnt/loop/<mount points> e.g. /mnt/loop/osx86-111
The above mount points are exported via Apache
(Alias /distros "/mnt/loop/") and

/etc/exportfs

/mnt/loop 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0(ro)

From client web brower I can access <server>/distros dir structure.
I can also mount <server>:/mnt/loop and browse the sub tree in file
manager. So HTTP and NFS are working fine.

However, during installation (using NetInstall CD) I get "Repository not
found" when I point to the location of the repo to HTTP
<server-ip>/distros/osx86-111 and NFS <server>/mnt/loop/osx86-111
combos in the HTTP/NFS dialog box respectively.

With CentOS/Fedora iso images the above method works like a charm. I
copy a net install image on a USB stick boot from it and complete the
installation from the server. (Client machines do not have DVD/CD
reader)

The openSUSE install failures have forced me to burn a DVD and do the
installs using an external USB DVD reader :(

Why does the openSUSE installer accept the same tree structure as
a "valid" repo when it is installed via a DVD and *not* when it is
pointed to a copy of the same via HTTP or NFS?

Any pointer to a solution would be much appreciated.

[1] md5sums of *all* downloaded iso images match the official numbers;
it is not a case of bad media file.

Thanks.
--
Arun Khan