Re: [opensuse] User unknown in relay recipient table when sending mail to user alias
  • From: Clayton <smaug42@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2009 12:49:08 +0200
Grin! Here's one of your problems (a very common one): you haven't researched
what the command does.

postconf -d        : shows the default settings
postconf param     : shows the actual value of the parameter
postconf -n        : shows all parameters that deviate from the default

You're right :-) I was in a rush and didn't look into it very deeply.

These are the domains that your postfix server sees as local domains:

mydomain.com
linux-tliy.mydomain.com

Valid recipients are in /etc/passwd and /etc/aliases.

What does the logline say about the bounced email?

A couple selected lines (sanitized with IPs, and real email addresses replaced):

Aug 2 13:29:28 linux postfix/smtpd[16770]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from
mxout-137-ewr.ma
ilhop.org[IP_ADDRESS_REMOVED]: 554 5.7.1 <local_alias@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
Relay access denied; from=<local_alias@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
to=<local_alias@xxxxxxxxxxxx> proto=ESMTP helo=<mx1.mailhop.org>
Aug 2 13:31:07 linux postfix/smtpd[16961]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from
mxout-203-ewr.ma
ilhop.org[IP_ADDRESS_REMOVED]: 554 5.7.1 <local_alias@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
Relay access denied; from=<external_email@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
to=<local_alias@xxxxxxxxxxxx> proto=ESMTP helo=<mx1.mailhop.org>

This only happens when I attempt to send to newly defined aliases, or
to the old aliases such as abuse, postmaster etc.

virtual_alias_domains = hash:/etc/postfix/virtual

Careful with that setting. You might set up a domain as a virtual_alias_domain
without realising it.

This is leftover from when I was trying to sort out the rejected
mail... it's easy to remove or zero out.

C.