[opensuse] mounting my ntfs drive dual boot system
  • From: George Olson <grglsn765@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 02 Aug 2009 20:54:38 +0800
Hi all,
I am trying to figure out how to mount my windows partition so that I
can read data.

In the YaST partitioner, here is the data that my computer shows:
Device Size F Type FS Type Label Mount
Point Mount By Start End Used By
/dev/sda 232.89 GB ST9250827AS
0 30400
/dev/sda1 34.18 GB HPFS/NTFS NTFS
0 4461
/dev/sda2 156.25 GB HPFS/NTFS NTFS DATA
4462 24858
/dev/sda3 42.45 GB Extended
24859 30400
/dev/sda5 2.01 GB Linux swap Swap swap
ID 24859 25120
/dev/sda6 16.33 GB Linux native Ext3 /
ID 25121 27252
/dev/sda7 24.11 GB Linux native Ext3 /home
ID 27253 30400

(Is there a way to get this information from the terminal? I had to
manually re-type that whole table instead of cut and paste from a
terminal window.)

Then in Konqueror when I try to click on the DATA label, nothing
happens. I cannot read any of the data.

I went into a terminal window and typed "mount" without any other
parameters (and not on root permission because I don't really understand
what "mount" does and I don't want to mess anything up). Here is the result:

george@linux-kwqm:~> mount
/dev/sda6 on / type ext3 (rw,acl,user_xattr)
/proc on /proc type proc (rw)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
debugfs on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw)
udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,mode=0620,gid=5)
/dev/sda7 on /home type ext3 (rw,acl,user_xattr)
fusectl on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw)
securityfs on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw)
none on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw)
/dev/sr0 on /media/SU1110.001 type iso9660
(ro,nosuid,nodev,noatime,uid=1000,utf8)
gvfs-fuse-daemon on /home/george/.gvfs type fuse.gvfs-fuse-daemon
(rw,nosuid,nodev,user=george)
george@linux-kwqm:~>

Here are the things that I DO understand from the above information.
- sda3 is a description of the extended partition, which contains sda5,
sda6, and sda7
- the mount command did not give me any information about sda1 or sda2.

So if anyone can help me figure out how to get the drive sda2, or DATA
mounted so that I can read data, then that will be great. I want to
ultimately also write data, as I was able to do before when I had this
drive on my other computer, but for now I will just get to where I can
try and read the data.

Thanks
George Olson