Re: [opensuse] Re: Beagle frontend
  • From: Larry Stotler <larrystotler@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 17:25:16 -0400
On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 12:51 AM, Patrick Shanahan<paka@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I cannot see that you have had any problem expressing your feelings.

Guess I'm just stubborn.

And now it comes with "Personal Settings"  :^).

Does this pop up during first login? On which version of KDE4?

I started with 5.x some time ago and continue to support it.  But I do
not think you should cast aspersions on the programmers who mostly
donate their efforts.
<quote>
That seems to be some programmer's mentality anymore.
</quote>
Just a recent uttering, many more are available.  It is one thing to
express an opinion and another to address derogatory inferences toward
individuals and/or to continually put them down.

These same programmers target a community of people who they want to
see use their software. Further, as an example, until recently
Trolltech charged for commercial implementation of Qt, so they weren't
completely uncompensated(or some of them anyway) from my
understanding.

You take expection to the way some things are being handled, are others
not allowed to have some agreement with the direction and to disagree
with you?

The real issue is that the KDE team felt they needed to do a complete
rewrite(supposedly - it's been pointed out that some KDE3 bugs are in
KDE4) and decided that the new way was it without regard for that fact
that they had 10+ years of people who have used KDE. Even in an open
source project, if you want people to use your code, you have to
listen to their input. It's only now with KDE 4.3 that most people
are willing to say it's finally the "promised" replacement for KDE3.

And, I didn't start with the derogatory references. That started long
ago when the lovers of the new way started telling us we were (insert
reference here) for not "seeing the light".