Re: [opensuse] HP PhotoSmart C4480 Multifunction
  • From: Johannes Meixner <jsmeix@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 10:07:29 +0200 (CEST)

Hello,

On Jul 20 11:42 Bob Rea wrote (shortened):
On Mon July 20 2009 3:48 am, Johannes Meixner wrote:
The HPLIP version which is in Suse Linux 10.0 provides
a driver for the DJGenericVIP device class and when the
HP PhotoSmart C4480 is sufficiently compatible to the
older models which belong to this device class, then at
least plain printing should work with the HPLIP version
which is in Suse Linux 10.0 when you select another model
from the DJGenericVIP device class.

As I said in the previous message, this worked for me.

Next I tried to set it up as a scanner. I got a message in
yast:
HP All-in-One Devices
HP all-in-one devices require a special setup. In this case,
an appropriate dialog is shown. There are two software
packages that provide support for HP all-in-one devices:
the old HPOJ software (package hp-officeJet), which
provides the PTAL system (with the ptal service) to access
HP all-in-one devices, and the new HPLIP software (package
hplip), which provides the hplip service to access HP
all-in-one devices. Both software packages can be installed
at the same time but the services cannot be run together.
Because a running service is required to access the device,
either ptal or hplip must be used to access all HP
all-in-one devices.

Does this mean that if I set it up as a scanner, I can't use
it as a printer?

No.
It only means that you must decide which software package
you like to use for both printing and scanning.
You cannot use HPLIP for printing but HPOJ for scanning.

Because HPLIP is already working for you for printing,
try to use HPLIP also for scanning.

Select in YaST any entry regarding "hpaio"
(regardless which model).

The HPLIP software provides only one single driver "hpaio"
to access all scanners which it supports. This driver
scans the USB bus to find a model which it supports.
Therefore the driver has a built-in list of the USB IDs
of the models which it supports.
If your model's USB ID is not in this built-in list,
the "hpaio" driver will not recognize your model
so that it cannot work.

In this case you can try out if it works to set it up
in YaST with the old HPOJ software but I assume this
doesn't work either because HPOJ is even older than
the HPLIP version which is included in Suse Linux 10.0.
Nevertheless you can try it out - nothing would explode ;-)

If the HPLIP version which is included in Suse Linux 10.0
does not recognize your model, the only solution is to
upgrade HPLIP to the version 2.8.5 which is listed at
http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/models/photosmart/photosmart_c4400_series.html

In this case the tricky part is how to find a binary
RPM software package which matches to Suse Linux 10.0.

Suse Linux 10.0 is too old to be supported on
http://software.opensuse.org/search

The oldest supported dirstibutions (i.e. which are "nearest" to
Suse Linux 10.0) are SLES/SLED 10 (based on Suse Linux 10.1)
and openSUSE 10.3 but both are newer than Suse Linux 10.0 and
therefore HPLIP packages for SLES/SLED 10 or openSUSE 10.3
may not work on Suse Linux 10.0.

Using whatever packages from a newer dirstibution in an older
system can cause crashes in arbitrary cases because you would
usually also need the base system from the newer dirstibution
(like base libraries and whatever else base stuff).

Furthermore I cannot provied you any kind of support if
packages for a newer dirstibution cause arbitrary failures
in your older system simply because the only "solution"
in such cases is to use a correctly matching package.

Therefore it might be best to download HPLIP form
http://hplipopensource.com/
and run their installer on your system.

According to
http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/install.html
"Automatic Install" is not supported for Suse Linux 10.0
so that you would have to do the hard way via
"Manual Install" according to what is described at
http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/install/manual/distros/novell.html

But it might be no longer tested whether this still
really works for the current HPLIP version.

In case of trouble HP provides a really open and direct
contact to the HPLIP supporters and developers via
http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/support.html

I do not know about any other printer/scanner manufacturer
who makes a perfectly free driver software and who provides
additionally a really open and direct forum to get in contact
with their real "masterminds" of their software.

In the very end, this is perhaps a good reason to think
about a system upgrade to openSUSE 11.1 or to wait for
openSUSE 11.2 and use the waiting time to prepare the
system upgrade thoroughly before doing it - e.g. how to
save all your personal files before and so on...

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
AG Nuernberg, HRB 16746, GF: Markus Rex