Re: [opensuse] Re: Configuring postfix [Was: configuring postscript on 11.1]
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2009 21:08:38 +0200 (CEST)

On Saturday, 2009-07-18 at 20:58 +0200, jdd wrote:

Carlos E. R. a écrit :

You need an MX record first...

When a domain name has no MX listed, the A record will be tried next. If
that doesn't exist, and the name is a subdomain, the main domain will
be tried.

I have an A record for kim2.dodin.org

Per says that can be correct. Till this day I thought that would not work. What I'm sure is that my tests years ago did not work that way, but now, I dunno why.

Are you sure? I think I remember sendmail failing because of that, with
a message like host not found.

mail sent don't come back, don't come to the dodin.org mx

but can I give a kim2.dodin.org mx without disturbing the main
dodin.org mx? mx is said to be closely tied with domain name, I don't
know what subdomain do in the middle (but would like to know :-)

AFAIK, yes, of course. Mail sent to kim2.dodin.org will then be sent to whichever server is listed in the MX register, without ambiguities. It doesn't need to be kim2.dodin.org.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.