Re: [opensuse] Re: Top 3 Applications You Wish Existed in Linux
  • From: "Fred A. Miller" <fmiller@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2009 13:31:19 -0400
Per Jessen wrote:
Fred A. Miller wrote:

Mike McMullin wrote:

[snip]

So I did. Quasar lets you build your own COA, so I built it to
completely resemble to US 1040 Schedule C form - even to include the
forms line numbers. So just copy the numbers to the form and I'm
done.
I wonder if H&R Blocks tax software is available for Linux. I know
they advertise importing from QuickTax, and this would be one less
app the keep Windows around for. (Oddly enough, the other app is fax
software.)
That I can answer for you....NO, it isn't available for Linux. FAX
software isn't the "big deal" it once was for a lot of people now they
have their phone service running on a digital line. FAX machines and
modems ALL use analog....won't work.

Fred, it works just fine. My telephone lines are all ISDN, i.e.
digital, and faxing works just fine. Inbound I use asterisk+iaxmodem,
outbound I have an oldfashioned faxmodem connect to the a/b port on the
NT box.

ISDN is a circuit-switched telephone network system, it's NOT the same
as fiber....doesn't work the same nor use the same protocols. I've
talked to engineers at AT&T and Verizon, trying to find a way around the
problem, and there isn't one. So, what I do is scan anything that has to
be FAXed and file attach it. Actually, it's better because the quality
of the image rec'd is, of course, so much better than a FAX.

Fred

--
"Where's The Birth Certificate?"