Re: [opensuse] HELP - How to I delete a directory that won't die! (no rm -rf isn't the answer)
  • From: "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 01:43:21 -0500
On Friday 17 July 2009 12:06:34 am you wrote:
David C. Rankin wrote:
Listmates,

I must have had a script go bad and completely screw up a file or two
in a directory and now I cannot "ls" the directory, I cannot "rm -rf" the
directory, but I can "mv" the directory and I can "cd" into the directory.

Interesting issue! Did you try to mount an USB flash disk, "mv" the
buggy directory to the flash disk, and do mkdosfs on the USB flash disk?
If it can be moved, it must can be removed.

Yes,

I first thought about moving to /dev/null, but that didn't work. I
could move it to another directory (i.e. "mv V1 V2) as long as it was on the
same partition. I attempted to move it to /tmp and let the scheduled clean up
take care of it, but since /tmp is on the / partition, the mv stalled trying to
copy across filesystem boundaries. (I now think the stalling was just the time
it was taking to delete)

So far things are getting deleted (very slowly) with mc, so I'm just
going to let it run for now.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC