Re: [opensuse] HELP - How to I delete a directory that won't die! (no rm -rf isn't the answer)
  • From: "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 23:31:31 -0500
On Thursday 16 July 2009 11:14:48 pm Randall R Schulz wrote:
On Thursday July 16 2009, David C. Rankin wrote:
Listmates,

I must have had a script go bad and completely screw up a file or
two in a directory and now I cannot "ls" the directory, I cannot "rm
-rf" the directory, but I can "mv" the directory and I can "cd" into
the directory.

In what manner do the commands that fail when operating on that
directory do so?

Randall,

When I issue "ls -al" or "rm", the command just "get stuck" until I
start another terminal and "kill -9 PID". A simple kill won't work.

The directory holds font files and I ran a script with "tr" in the
scripts and I had the wrong arguments to tr and now there is a mess.
The directory "V2" has the following properties:

drwxrwxrwx 2 david dcr 128552960 2009-07-16 22:28 V2/

How many files are in that directory? It's enormous!

There should be 127 files of about 50K each. How in the hell it got enormous is
beyond me. There could be hundreds (maybe even thousands) of copies of each
file in there.

Will find enumerate its contents? If so, something like this might work:

% find V2 -type f -print0 |xargs -0 rm

I'll give find a go and I'll also try mc like Patrick suggested.

What is the best way to recover??

Well, I hear Windows types reinstall ever couple of weeks or so...

The only shame is this is a 10.3 system that I "have" to fix ;-)

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC