Re: [opensuse] HELP - How to I delete a directory that won't die! (no rm -rf isn't the answer)
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 21:14:48 -0700
On Thursday July 16 2009, David C. Rankin wrote:
Listmates,

I must have had a script go bad and completely screw up a file or
two in a directory and now I cannot "ls" the directory, I cannot "rm
-rf" the directory, but I can "mv" the directory and I can "cd" into
the directory.

In what manner do the commands that fail when operating on that
directory do so?

The directory holds font files and I ran a script with "tr" in the
scripts and I had the wrong arguments to tr and now there is a mess.
The directory "V2" has the following properties:

drwxrwxrwx 2 david dcr 128552960 2009-07-16 22:28 V2/

How many files are in that directory? It's enormous!

Will find enumerate its contents? If so, something like this might work:

% find V2 -type f -print0 |xargs -0 rm

What is the best way to recover??

Well, I hear Windows types reinstall ever couple of weeks or so...

--
David C. Rankin

Randall Schulz