[opensuse] Beagle frontend (was: General Poor quality of Opensuse)
  • From: Joachim Schrod <jschrod@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 15:29:58 +0200
Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
On Sun, 2009-07-12 at 19:15 +0200, Sven Burmeister wrote:
Am Samstag, 11. Juli 2009 03:44:30 schrieb Charles Philip Chan:
Beagle ! what a total pain and complete resource hog once again it
needs to be a LOT easier to un-install or not install at all With the
requisite warning for those that do install it beware it will hog your
CPU for excessive amounts of time ,
Another program I detest. However, you can not fault OpenSUSE only
again, since this is part of a default a Gnome installation.
It is kind of openSUSE's fault because they install it by default, even with
KDE installation and although somehow not active by default, it does use the
CPU and harddisk.

It absolutely does *not* consume CPU or IO if not activated.

Disabling Beagle is well covered at
<http://en.opensuse.org/Disabling_Beagle> It can even be partially
disabled; such as not indexing Firefox traffic, etc...

The Beagle FAQ <http://beagle-project.org/Troubleshooting_CPU> is also a
good read.

I'm also one of the old guys who deactivate Beagle owing to bad
experience in the past. I might be tempted to revisit that
decision, since a search feature for one's files is of obvious merit.

Since you seem to know Beagle well: What is a recommended search
frontend when one does neither use GNOME nor KDE?

Actually, it may be a GNOME or KDE app, the necessary background
daemons are running; just no applet, please, as I don't have the
respective panel to dock them in.

TIA for an answer,

Joachim