Re: [opensuse] Windows mail encryption clent compatible with (k)gpg
  • From: James Knott <james.knott@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 08 Jul 2009 10:17:04 -0400
James Knott wrote:
Dave Howorth wrote:

James Knott wrote:

Joop Beris wrote:

Listmates,

Since more and more countries seem to find it necessary to store
information sent across the world wide web, I am contemplating switching to
encrypted mail as much as possible. Under Linux, this is fairly easy.
However, many of my contacts use Windows (I know, they shouldn't...but try
telling them that). Does anyone know of a good, easy to use client for
Windows XP/Vista that they could use? Preferably freeware, of course.

I have been googling around for it, tried download.com, pgpi.org, but could
not find anything matching the above criteria. Pgpi.org seems to offer a
freeware client, but when trying to download, it turns out to be trialware.

Any suggestions?

Why not go with X.509 digital certificates? They work with most e-mail
clients and you can get a free personal digital certificate from
www.thawte.com (Click on "Secure Your E-mail"). The free certificate is
good for encrypting your e-mail. You can also get your certificate
notarized, if you wish to use it for digital signatures.

I don't think Joop wants to protect the integrity of his mail, he wants
to maintain the privacy of its contents.

I use a reverse tactic. I scatter words like bomb and nuclear explosion
at random through my mails so "they" get fed up of checking :)

Cheers, Dave

The X.509 certificate can be used for either encryption, signatures or
both. The two parties get their own certificate and then can pass on
their public key, simply by signing an e-mail. This method requires no
software beyond an e-mail client. The certificates are supported in
Seamonkey, Thunderbird, Outlook (& Express) etc. It is also very easy
to use. If you get the certificate notarized, it can be used for a
legal digital signature backed by Thawte.

I forgot to mention, Thawte was created by Mark Shuttleworth, who also
owns Ubuntu. Thawte has since been bought by VeriSign.