[opensuse] How many disks?
  • From: Lew Wolfgang <wolfgang@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 06 Jul 2009 08:42:29 -0700
Hi Folks,

I've been working on a project for several years now that requires
lots of disk space. We've got three servers, each with 40 directly
connected 1-TB SATA disks.

Now, the project is expanding and will require as many as 98 directly
connected disks. I know that I can get the hardware and RAID (JBOD)
controllers to mechanize this, but I'm not sure about the OS.

How many individual disk (/dev/sdxx) drives can Linux support?

BTW, we need directly connected disks because of the bandwidth limits
that NFS throws up. I'd be happy to listen to alternatives.

Regards,
Lew