Re: [opensuse] Amarok 2 on KDE 4.3 wants to downgrade KDE workspace 4.1
  • From: Sven Burmeister <sven.burmeister@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2009 09:24:53 +0200
Am Donnerstag, 2. Juli 2009 08:45:28 schrieb Roger Oberholtzer:
By 4.3, you mean the stuff in:
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/42

Right? And Factory is now 4.4

Did you read http://en.opensuse.org/KDE/KDE4 ?

To be honest, if you cannot handle package conflicts and don't have a
clue about the repos, you should stick to whatever comes on the DVD and
save you the trouble you will almost certainly run into.

Sven, that is a bit harsh. I know this stuff very well. I am not having
problems. But I do perceive a lack of information on a few points, as I
asked. Please show me even a reference to Community or Backports in that
page. There is none. I stand by my statement that there is no SINGLE and
CONSISTENT description of ALL the parts in repositories/KDE:

If we cannot comment on existing documentation, how will it improve.

This is going to be called harsh again instead of just taken as what it was,
i.e. a warning to users that using non-DVD stuff might get them into trouble
they cannot cope with. If I just count the times I helped people who were
using the wrong Qt repo and hence had YaST failing...

To find info about all KDE repos I did:
http://www.google.com/search?q=kde4+repositories&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8 which
displays http://en.opensuse.org/KDE/Repositories as first result and on that
page one finds a lists all repos and a sentence of explanation for each. I
think that one can expect people to use google before claiming a lack of
information.

What about Community and Backports?

Which Qt version is best with this?

I know there is a one-click install, but I do not think it deals with
QT/Community/Backports.

It does, there is one for the base, one for community and none for
backports, because those are just KDE3.

Which one-click install sets these up for KDE 4.3?

Not sure which page I found those on, it's been a while since I added the
repos. They might even have been removed because too many people that should
not used playground or community repos and ran into trouble. If you cannot
find them just use the one-click install to add the base and add the others
manually or use the repos list mentioned above to copy and paste the correct
URL.

Regarding "which Qt to use for what repo", if one right-clicks the base one-
click install link and opens it in a text-editor, one can see the repos it
suggests to add. If there is no Qt repo, you do not need any, either because
the packages are already part of that repo or because your opensuse version's
fit the purpose.

Sven