Re: [opensuse] Legacy hardware support in openSUSE 10.3
  • From: Ken Schneider - openSUSE <suse-list3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 10:17:57 -0400
Roger Oberholtzer pecked at the keyboard and wrote:
I have had a request by a client to see if some legacy hardware is
supported by openSUSE 10.3. Most of the things they asked about I could
sort out. It just left me with this:

ASUS P2B-S Motherboard (CPU - Pentium 2 350/512/100/2.0 S1)

ATI Mach 64 PCI

The system should run KDE 3.5. No fancy graphics effects. I suspect it
could be pushing it with a 350 MHz P2. Even id the graphics card is
decent. Aside from suggesting a hardware upgrade, any constructive
opinions?

I have 11.1 installed with KDE 3.x and it seems to do all right. By the
way my board is a P2B-DS motherboard with two cpu's installed. You might
want to consider a lighter weight desktop for your setup.

--
Ken Schneider
SuSe since Version 5.2, June 1998