[opensuse] Re: grub no longer being maintained? so Suse drops support for XFS boot?
  • From: jdd <jdd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2009 15:33:46 +0200
Carlos E. R. a écrit :

You mean on that primary partition that acts as a container for other
partitions?

yes

No, I don't thinks so.

of course yes. I just verified this is a YaST option, and I use it
just now

Maybe the first stage, using the
available 512 bytes less whatever, but that is all, and grub needs way
more. The next stages have to go elsewere.

Info grub says:

"PART-NUM represents the partition number of DEVICE, starting from
zero for primary partitions and from four for extended partitions, and
BSD-SUBPART-LETTER represents the BSD disklabel subpartition, (...)

so extended is possible. (see also below)

However I didn't try this with XFS file system. I may try this on
virtualbox - I need to know to include this in the partition HOWTO

thanks
jdd

(...)
`xfs_stage1_5'
These are called "Stage 1.5", because they serve as a bridge
between `stage1' and `stage2', that is to say, Stage 1.5 is loaded
by Stage 1 and Stage 1.5 loads Stage 2. The difference between
`stage1' and `*_stage1_5' is that the former doesn't understand
any filesystem while the latter understands one filesystem (e.g.
`e2fs_stage1_5' understands ext2fs). So you can move the Stage 2
image to another location safely, even after GRUB has been
installed.

While Stage 2 cannot generally be embedded in a fixed area as the
size is so large, Stage 1.5 can be installed into the area right
after an MBR, or the boot loader area of a ReiserFS or a FFS.
(...)
Support multiple filesystem types
Support multiple filesystem types transparently, plus a useful
explicit blocklist notation. The currently supported filesystem
types are "BSD FFS", "DOS FAT16 and FAT32", "Minix fs", "Linux
ext2fs", "ReiserFS", "JFS", "XFS", and "VSTa fs". *Note
Filesystem::, for more information.

--
http://www.dodin.net
http://valerie.dodin.org