Re: [opensuse] Re: Backup of NTFS file systems with Linux
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2009 02:01:49 +0200 (CEST)

On Saturday, 2009-06-13 at 23:06 -0000, Jim Henderson wrote:

On Sat, 13 Jun 2009 22:13:54 +0200, Malte Gell wrote:

My idea was to create a ntfs file system on an external USB harddrive
and make a backup of my Vista installation with the tar command. Would
be faster that using dd which also clones empty space.

This won't make the system recoverable. First, tar creates a file, so
the underlying filesystem doesn't matter. But tar only knows about *nix
filesystem permissions as well.

Then, there is the alternative of using a windows native archiving utility that knows about ntfs attributes; perhaps winrar or winzip?

Of course, it would only be usefull for data recovery, not system, unless I'm mistaken.

On FAT, I used a similar strategy: I had an initial image recovery, using windows tools, and then from linux I made a copy of changed files with attributes (with "mattrib").

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.