[opensuse] Re: Backup of NTFS file systems with Linux
  • From: Jim Henderson <hendersj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2009 23:06:01 +0000 (UTC)
On Sat, 13 Jun 2009 22:13:54 +0200, Malte Gell wrote:

My idea was to create a ntfs file system on an external USB harddrive
and make a backup of my Vista installation with the tar command. Would
be faster that using dd which also clones empty space.

This won't make the system recoverable. First, tar creates a file, so
the underlying filesystem doesn't matter. But tar only knows about *nix
filesystem permissions as well.

Have a look at something like Ghost for Linux (g4l) instead.

Jim

--
Jim Henderson