[opensuse] Backup of NTFS file systems with Linux
  • From: Malte Gell <malte.gell@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2009 22:13:54 +0200
Hello,

how reliable is Linux' internal ntfs driver concerning write access?

My idea was to create a ntfs file system on an external USB harddrive and make
a backup of my Vista installation with the tar command. Would be faster that
using dd which also clones empty space.

No, I wonder, get ntfs attributes of ntfs files lost when being copied with
Linux tar? Are files in any way corrupted in the view of Windows Vista if the
ntfs volume was read/write mounted under Linux?

My idea looked like this:

1. mount ntfs volume "C:\"

mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/drive_C

2. mount ntfs formatted backup space

mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/backup_of_C

3. copy stuff from ntfs volume C to backupharddrive using tar:

cd /mnt/drive_C

tar -cSp --atime-preserve -f - . | ( cd /mnt/backup_of_C && tar -xSpv --
atime-preserve -f - )

Regards
Malte