Re: [opensuse] Is the person this bug is assigned to still with Novell/openSuSE
  • From: Larry Stotler <larrystotler@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2009 01:17:02 -0400
On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 8:27 PM, Adam Tauno WIlliams
<awilliam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
This is a false distinction - the world is not divided into
"programmers" and "not programmers".  There are many ways those not
versed in code can help - in ways that cause bugs to get closed faster,
and then someone comes around to 'your' bug sooner.

Yep, I beta tested, reported problems, and when I disagreed with the
direction of openSUSE, I was basically told to go away by a small
minority because I didn't agree with their "vision".

As a bug keeper for an Open Source project I can tell you that they
almost certainly have bugs of their own and are very much aware of the
looming mountain that is Bugzilla.  The attitude of
my-bugs-don't-get-fixed-so-I'm-going-home is not helpful, to yourself or
anyone else.

People are concerned about what affects them directly. It's a fact of life.

And "more than 70 bugs"??!  Hah, I'd love to be him!  You'll find the
same, and much worse, in any in-house/proprietary bug tracking system.
Bugs are many, workers are few.
So you'd assign them to who?  Remeber that bugs are not exclusively
available to the person to whom they are assigned.
Resources are constrained - that is why there is a thing called an
"economy". :)

Then maybe it's time to re-evaluate what the project is and where it
is going. Projects that get too big don't die, they get pushed away
by the next big thing. That's how uBuntu has become big. SuSE used
to be the distro everyone watched. Now it's second to uBuntu. What
happens when the next big thing comes along and openSUSE is pushed
even further out?

Nevermind. I guess I'm just wasting my time yet again.