Re: [opensuse] Latest KDE4 update - new cool stuff!
  • From: "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2009 21:46:01 -0500
On Wednesday 03 June 2009 15:52:28 Anders Johansson wrote:
On Wednesday 03 June 2009 22:49:12 David C. Rankin wrote:
Yast is still dead as a doornail after the 1-click install through.
zypper still works!

If you have the same problem I did, then the solution is to use

su -

to become root, and then start yast2 from the command line. The problem
appears to be that yast is trying to connect to something or other over
dbus, and getting rejected. Haven't quite figured out what yet. But with
the hyphen after su, the environment gets reset, so it doesn't try to
connect to the user's dbus anymore

Anders

Hmm..

Anders, I opened konsole and 'su -' to become root and then entered
'yast2'
to start yast. Then I selected 'Software Management'. The SW Management
repository refresh proceeded like it has done ever since the 1-click install,
then when the refresh is done, SW Manamgement cratered with the same error
message:

YaST got signal 11 at YCP file /usr/share/YaST2/clients/inst_packages.ycp:36
/sbin/yast2: line 421: 5520 Segmentation fault $ybindir/y2base $module
"$@" "$SELECTED_GUI" $Y2_GEOMETRY $Y2UI_ARGS

Sorry it took so long to reply, but it took me 20 minutes to figure out
how
to configure the kmail message list window so I could find your reply. I tried
aggregating and sorting 20 different ways and was still left with "May"
"Monday" "Tuesday" etc.. bars scattered willy nilly in my message list. Once I
figured out setting sort by "date" aggregate by "standard mailing list" theme
by "classic", then I found you (well no I didn't, I cheated and just searched)
I'll set up filters later.

KDE4.3 is really cool and a welcome surprise, I can't wait to finish
making
friends with it! So far (except for the yast issue and the other minors) the
desktop has been rock solid. Font rendering is fantastic. So I'll admit, I
stand corrected. After my initial look at 4.3, I am beginning to think "by God
it will be ready by 11.2 release!"

Couldn't resist, here is a cool screenshot of my 4.3 desktop with the
desktop
effect cube rotate in action:

http://www.3111skyline.com/download/screenshots/kde4/kde4-desktop-drive-
nova.jpeg

God that is a quantum improvement over the desktop cube in kde4.1
released
with 11.1. Much more useful too. You be the judge:

http://www.3111skyline.com/download/openSUSE_11.1/compizcrash-blackcube.jpg

One last question, what is the purpose of the upside-down yellow cashew
in
the top right of the desktop?

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.