Re: [opensuse] Checkinstall [Was: yum, python 2.6 and Suse 11.1 - A sad tale]
  • From: JB2 <yonaton@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 21:39:33 -0500
On 28 April 09, John E. Perry wrote:

Carlos E. R. wrote:
Checkinstall is a gross hack and does not really fit into openSUSE as it
will happily create packages that defy all rules for this distribution.

I don't care. It fits our uses. Not yours, because you are a dev. Ours.

Carlos, if you don't care, why not just compile into a home directory
and put that directory into your path? That way you don't risk
corrupting the rest of the system, and you don't need checkinstall.

That defeats the purpose of the simplicity (and most of Carlos's post) of
checkinstall. Even suggesting this 'path' ad nausea makes for dulled over
eyes on new users to linux. Yes, cli is good to know, but if it has to be
*that* complicated to know how to change path and such!

--
There are two types of motorcycles...Harleys and not Harleys.