Re: [opensuse] yum, python 2.6 and Suse 11.1 - A sad tale
  • From: Philipp Thomas <Philipp.Thomas2@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 01:18:07 +0200
On Sat, 25 Apr 2009 17:14:44 +0200 (CEST), you wrote:

The devs do not want to repair it,

Oh, I do want to repair it, but I won't invest weeks of coding time for
something that nobody inside suse is using! If you want something working,
check out the code from the checkinstall git repository ande compile it for
yourself.

*If* you want to complain to anyone do it upstreams to those that create
and maintain checkinstall. Ask them why they haven't yet released code that
works with newer glibc versions.

they prefer us to create a spec file by hand, for which you need to be an
expert,

No, you don't need to be an expert to create a spec, there are literally
thousands of examples to go from.

or worse, use the buildservice, for which you need to be an even better
expert. For them it is easy, so they don't repair checkinstall. Impossible!

If fixing checkinstall would be so easy I would have done so long ago! The
point is that I would have to invest roughly at least a complete week to
get the code from the checkinstall git and integrate that into our version.
And that is much more time then I can invest in a package such as
checkinstall.

It's really time to drop checkinstall from the distribution, move it to the
buildservice and let someone else maintain the package! I put checkinstall
into the distribution because I thought it would be a service to the users
of back then SuSE Linux and would need little work to maintain. Now that we
have the buildservice there isn't any need anymore to have it maintained
inside Novell. If the community wants the package, someone from that
community ought to step up and maintain it.

Checkinstall is a gross hack and does not really fit into openSUSE as it
will happily create packages that defy all rules for this distribution.
Hmm, there's a project there, now that I think about it! How about having
checkinstall additionally call rpmlint like its done for openSUSE packages?
This would reject the packages based on the same rules that apply to all
openSUSE packages. Yes, I like that idea! I guess I'll spend a bit of my
scarce free time on that after I've returned from my holiday.

Philipp