Re: [opensuse] Bugs? in SuSE11 or fundamental linux flaws? file bug(s)
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 20:08:18 +0200 (CEST)

On Sunday, 2009-04-26 at 20:42 -0400, Larry Stotler wrote:

On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 5:18 PM, Linda Walsh <> wrote:
I've long complained about the stupidity of forcing all devices to be
'floating' and dynamic (or defaulting to floating and dynamic) and this
illustrates why.  Question is, is this a SuSE only bug, or is this the
whole concept of dynamic device management (it bites me on network setups
That's something I've complained about also. Some BIOS's will insert
a USB drive as the first drive and that makes things a pain. The disk
by label stuff seems to have helped, but I wish it would prompt me to
continue if it can't find something in fstab instead of dropping into
problem mode. I think I should choose to say continue if I pulled a
drive for some reason thats non-root and non-system and just mounted
elsewhere.

man mount:
nofail Do not report errors for this device if it does not exist.

That might help with that particular problem. Else, I think it is done by a script, so perhaps the query is doable.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.