Re: [opensuse] Exporting KMail folders etc, Revisited
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2009 21:34:14 +0200 (CEST)

On Saturday, 2009-04-25 at 20:32 +0300, Stan Goodman wrote:

Notice that if you dd a partition to another, and say, source is 1 GiB,
and destination is, say, 2 GiB, the end result is a filesystem that
"thinks" it has only 1 GiB and wastes the other 1 GiB.

In other words, it ignores the file system that was there before the
copying began, and formats according to whatever is on the source
partition? And stops when the copying is complete, leaving the rest
unformatted? Very bad, as I am thinking of enlarging the /home partition.

That's correct. Notice that, even then, it is possible to resize the filesystem, using whatever tools that filesystem has (it is different for xfs, reiserfs or ext3). But why go to that hassle, when it is easier to simply copy files? You can also take the chance to change the filesystem type if you like to.

Or you could use clonezilla.

Why is any one of these better than the simple cp, which knows very well
how to copy files?

I answered that already, but while we are thinking, clonezilla is specifically designed for this task. I haven't tried it personally, but I think they have a live CD too.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.