[opensuse] Re: Why does this list permit attachments?
  • From: Jim Henderson <hendersj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 22:55:57 +0000 (UTC)
On Fri, 24 Apr 2009 00:41:22 +0200, Carlos E. R. wrote:

So yes, I'd prefer the server to impose a reasonable size limit. I have
seen some around half a megabyte.

Looking at the gmane headers and posts that come through it, it looks
like gmane strips the attachments already.

So for those who don't want attachments, that would be a viable option.
Many mail programs can handle NNTP as well, so they wouldn't even really
have to change the program they use in many cases.

That said, it does seem reasonable that there'd be a limit of some sort.
I can remember doing dialup over a 26.4 Kbps connection and had a friend
who loved sending videos to everyone - and using POP (as I did at the
time) it was quite annoying to start to pull down my mail and see one
message I wanted to ignore/delete because I knew it'd be something I
wasn't interested in.

Jim
--
Jim Henderson