RE: [opensuse] Why does this list permit attachments?
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 00:41:22 +0200 (CEST)

On Friday, 2009-04-24 at 10:11 +1200, Philip Dowie wrote:

I use gmane to read the list

Then you're not actually using an email program, you're using a web browser.

Which also means that internet account does not charge for connect time.

Ordinary POP accounts used by people running common email software AFAIK don't allow pre-determining what to download or not.

the POP3 spec has a TOP command that allows the MUA to download the top X many bytes of the message. Probably not commonly used these days, but the support for it is there.

True, but you have to configure the fetching in advance. The same mail account may be used for several things, and the user may want to receive large emails from other sources, but not from a mail list. I certainly do not like large email from lists, because I archive the list. It is not polite to the rest of people to send large attachments, when only a few need to read it.

So yes, I'd prefer the server to impose a reasonable size limit. I have seen some around half a megabyte.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.