Re: [opensuse] kde3 is gone... for 11.2
  • From: Larry Stotler <larrystotler@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 18:26:07 -0400
On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 6:03 PM, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.
<bss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
KDE 4 does not require compositing.  If you turn it off, it still looks
slicker than KDE 3, but it won't ask other systems to do things they are bad
at.

So how do you turn it off?

You are wrong.  KDE 4 should preform *better* on old hardware if the eye
candy is turned off and it should *still* look better than KDE 3.  If that's
not your experience, and you are willing to work with the developers, please
join them on IRC.

2 problems with that - I don't use IRC and really don't have the time
to devote to it, and the second is that I find KDE3 is more than
adequate for my needs. Like I said to Anders a while back -
Compelling reasons. KDE4 has shown zero benefit over KDE3 so far.
That may change, and hopefully will.

[Ideally, KDE 4 would be smart enough to choose the appropriate level of
"eye candy" based on your hardware and then let you tweak it, but I don't
think that's ready yet.]

Which is why I asked for KPersonalizer or something similar to be
ported so I don't have to fool with a bunch of stuff to turn it off.

Honestly, I didn't pick KDE as my desktop because of how it looks. I
picked it because it works the way I do. It was the closest Linux
desktop to OS/2's Workplace shell, and it just plain worked. I'm not
against the devs wanted to do new stuff and add a lot of eye candy if
that's what THEY are into. I just want an easy way to turn it off IF
I decide that KDE4 is ready for me. Not asking for the world here.

I also don't agree with that dev who says that we shouldn't have the
current desktop. Honestly, who is he to dictate to me how I use my
computer? If he thinks he's got a better way for him, fine. Just
don't force your ideas on me. Give me a choice so that if your way
doesn't work for me(which it doesn't), I don't have to deal with it.