Re: [opensuse] More Networking Configuration: Local Aliases
  • From: Ken Schneider - openSUSE <suse-list3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 09 Apr 2009 13:28:00 -0400

I got the impression multiple aliases were supported.

I confirmed they are. From the /etc/hosts man page (man 5 hosts):

"For each host a single line should be present with
the following information:

IP_address canonical_hostname [aliases...]

..."

Try changing to:

208.201.233.232 twain.sonic.net twain
208.201.233.233 smiley.sonic.net smiley

Sonic.net net knows not of twain and smiley. They're my fictitious names
for these two hosts.

I realize that as it would only be used for internal purposes not external
even though they have public addresses.

--
Ken Schneider
SuSe since Version 5.2, June 1998