Re: [opensuse] More Networking Configuration: Local Aliases
  • From: "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 08 Apr 2009 23:50:54 -0500
Randall R Schulz wrote:
On Wednesday April 8 2009, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
* Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx> [04-08-09 20:51]:
Having switched my two systems from their fake names to the
synthetic but real DNS names assigned by the ISP based on their
(static) IP address, I find I am no longer able to access these
hosts by their local aliases.

What's the configuration I need to be able to use the short aliases
on these two hosts?
I believe you have not filled in the fields correctly.

numeric.addr alpha.addr alias

in the first you have numeric.addr alias
and the second numberic.addr alpha.addr alias xxxxxx

I got the impression multiple aliases were supported.

# Fayette208 LAN twain smiley

I still get this (from twain, with the aforementioned entries
in /etc/hosts):

% host twain
Host twain not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)

% host smiley
Host smiley not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)

It's almost as if /etc/hosts isn't being consulted at all. Along those
lines, resolv.conf includes these (non-comment) lines:

Patrick Shanahan

Randall Schulz

From you resolv.conf, I take it you are on, you don't
have a
caching only dns setup so you are looking to & 13 for name
resolution?? I can't tell you why /etc/hosts isn't getting searched, but
Patrick is right, the /etc/hosts entries should look something like:

# Syntax:
# IP-Address Full-Qualified-Hostname Short-Hostname
# localhost

# special IPv6 addresses
::1 localhost ipv6-localhost ipv6-loopback

fe00::0 ipv6-localnet

ff00::0 ipv6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ipv6-allnodes
ff02::2 ipv6-allrouters
ff02::3 ipv6-allhosts ecstasy ecstasy

It also makes sense that from resolv.conf nameserver & 13
wouldn't be of much help with internal addresses on if I
understand what your setup looks like??

David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC
510 Ochiltree Street